Convicted drug trafficker Curtis Simmons seen leaving Supreme Court. *Photo by Coggie Gibbons
Convicted drug trafficker Curtis Simmons seen leaving Supreme Court. *Photo by Coggie Gibbons
A drug trafficker who tried to persuade a jury that another man had planted several pounds of drugs at his house has been convicted in Supreme Court.

The jury convicted Curtis Ambrose Simmons, 45, of four of the supply charges against him.

The nine-woman, three-man panel took about five hours on Friday to unanimously convict him of three counts of possessing cannabis and cannabis resin on September 6 last year with intent to supply them.

They also found him guilty by a ten-to-two majority of one count of possessing cannabis with intent to supply.

The jury, however, acquitted the Spicewood Drive, Warwick resident of a remaining charge of possessing cannabis resin with intent to supply.

Narcotics officers who raided the two-storey building found the drugs in two suitcases, in the kitchen refrigerator and above a dryer outside the defendant's apartment.

Two of the officers testified to seeing him heave the suitcases over the rail of an exterior enclosed area to the ground 10 feet below as other officers were forcing their way in through the front door with a search warrant.

But it was the drugs police found above the dryer that he was found not guilty possessing.

The cannabis weighed 7,100.7 grams (15.65 lbs.) and the resin weighed 1,519.4 grams (3.35 lbs.) for a combined street value of $506,900, according to Principal Crown Counsel Michael McColm.

In addition, $42,050 in cash found during the search was forfeited to the Crown.

Puisne Judge Carlisle Greaves remanded Mr. Simmons in custody until the January arraignment session to set a date for sentencing.

In the meantime, he ordered pre-sentence reports to be compiled.

During the trial Mr. Simmons admitted possession of the drugs in the fridge but claimed that they were for his own use.

He said that he had bought them at home for $2,000 from a man by the name of Ernest Cann (nicknamed 'One Leg') who had stopped by a short time before the search.

He also claimed that 'One Leg' had planted the rest without his knowledge.

Mr. Simmons said that Mr. Cann had been carrying the drugs in a white plastic garbage bag when he arrived at the house and asked for something sturdier to carry them in.

The defendant said he lent him the two suitcases and did not see them again until the police found them on the ground outside his house along with the drugs above the dryer.

Mr. Cann himself was detained on South Road not far away and not long after the raid, with $2,000 in cash on him as he headed towards Somerset where he lives.

A search of his residence, the court heard, turned up plant material and white powder in various places inside.